Sender:Bernhard Vogl
Date/Time:2005-Jun-30 12:35:00
Subject:Re: small versions blurred?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: small versions blurred? Bernhard Vogl 2005-Jun-30 12:35:00
I am using a not very techincal approach but one that is more based on my
"experiences":

There is a certain kind of "critical frequency" when looking at the details
in an image. You can compress without loosing much of your detail and
sharpness as long as the compression doesn't impact details in these
"critical frequency".
The point is: this frequency will be found at the level of object details
(like grass, trees etc.) and also at grain level of your film or digital
camera. So you have to do a close look which one comes first when
compressing at given resolution.
I suspect that panos with a "blurry" preview are the ones where the
"critical frequency" has changes through resizing (e.g. by grass blades fall
at or below resolution level).
Hans' solution describes a good way how to master this situation.

A word about interpolator quality:
Quality of low resolution panos can be improved dramatically by using a good
interpolator, but i have also experienced big problems, using such settings
for higher resolution panoramas. Cubeface sizes of >1500 and high quality
interpolators make the movement of the panorama choke (at least on my 3Ghz
windows machine). Personally, i prefer smooth movement in opposite to high
display quality.

Best regards
Bernhard