Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2005-Aug-24 22:38:00
Subject:Re: 5secsautorotate & qt7

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 5secsautorotate & qt7 Roger Howard 2005-Aug-24 22:38:00
On Aug 23, 2005, at 7:59 PM, liz_golf wrote:

> Hi Pedro -
>
> QT7 currently has a bug which prevents changing the controller.  It
> can still be done in QT
> 6.5 Player but unfortunately not on Tiger (which supports only QT7).

Correction:

Tiger supports only Quicktime 7, true.

However, Quicktime Player is *not* Quicktime. Almost any version of
Quicktime Player should work on Tiger, with QuickTime 7. The
functionality you're looking for was lost in Quicktime *Player*, not
Quicktime itself, and so an older version of the player can be used
with a newer version of Quicktime to regain that functionality.

I have both QT Player 6.5 and QT Player 7 installed on the same Tiger
machine, running QT 7. Anything QT Player v7 doesn't do anymore - or is
buggy doing - I can easily use QT Player v6.5 for.

Much like an old application like Premiere will suddenly gain new QT7
features like H.264 encoding, but will not *lose* any of it's own
functionality, some of what you consider "Quicktime" is just part of
the QT Player application and some is part of the core Quicktime
libraries.

Quicktime - a library that provides media-related services to a variety
of applications, but does nothing on it's own. It provides
functionality for decoding and encoding images, audio. video, and other
media.
Quicktime Player - one particular application that uses Quicktime for
core magic, but also provides it's own functionality. Generally
Quicktime Player does *not* depend on any specific version of
Quicktime, as most of the functionality the Player depends on has been
in Quicktime itself for years.

Hope this helps,

Roger