Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2005-Sep-25 00:00:00
Subject:Re: my entry

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: my entry Markus Altendorff 2005-Sep-25 00:00:00
Erik Krause wrote:
> Am Friday, September 23, 2005 um 20:58 schrieb aleksandar:
>

>>Check it out at
>>http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp905/html/AleksandarJanicijevic.html--The
>>What do you think, is this energy?
>

> Energy? Wasted: File not found...

Well, i guess that's because we're not yet online with the
final result :) but the link should be fine come October 7
(or so, gotta check the timetable again).

> Markus: "View" on the preparation server always redirects to the
> official WWP page. Is this intended?

Strange - do you mean the "view" command on the start page
(i.e. http://128.32.102.88:8090/gen/ )?
This does not redirect to the official page (at least not
for me / Safari/Mac) - of course, with "official" meaning
"geoimages.berkeley.edu"... it's redirecting to a static
copy (explained below)

The preparation server is running a three-levels system now:
- editing
- live preview
- "frozen"

Editing:
does what it says. Pages all covered with little buttons to
change the texts.

Live Preview: Same pages, only without the little buttons.

"Frozen": A file copy done by a web grabber program.
Since the "view" link on the start page will redirect to
that copy, the pages there will lag behind the editing/live
version by any amount of time - currently, it's about three
weeks old or so ;)

Basically, to view the current version, pick "edit" (logging
in) and then go to your page and switch to "live preview"
(see the new intro page behind the "edit" link for a short
manual).

I've change to that approach because some things are a lot
easier to handle (like link checking, or copying to the main
server), and it's a rather good protection against the
problem we had last time when some links that pointed to the
prep. server accidentally slipped through and that little
cube suddenly received quite a share from the "main" site
traffic (it held up pretty well, but i don't need to see
that again ;)

Unrelated, but also something to consider: We may need a bit
longer to approve etc. the individual entries, with Landis
being unavailable and all, so don't worry if some things are
not addressed within 24 hours ;)

-Markus