Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2006-Sep-27 07:52:00
Subject:Re: Sound in Panorama / converter

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Sound in Panorama / converter Markus Altendorff 2006-Sep-27 07:52:00
Quoted from christian stehle:

> I'm currently editing my panoramas.
> Is it allowed to embed the sound inside the fullscreen panorama? If
> not, is there a freeware tool around to convert from mp3 or wav to .mov
> audio?

You can embed the sound in the panorama, but the downside for this is that a visitor
may hear it twice - if he visits the "normal" page (with sound playing) and clicks
on "fullscreen". In that case, both movies are visible, and both will play. The
result can be, uh, "fascinating" ;)
This will not happen with an external sound file, since the fullscreen-from-normal
page is "muted", while the fullscreen-from-everywhere-else page does embed the sound
file.

As for a freeware tool - on Mac, you can use iMovie (free) to create a sound file in
a Quicktime container instead of Quicktime Pro (30$). Just drop your recording into
the timeline, then use "Export ... to Quicktime ... Custom, Film to Quicktime Movie"
(! - don't use "Sound to AIF" or something).
Click "Options", then uncheck "video" and change Audio to "AAC" (no MP3 available,
but as long as it's in Quicktime and reasonably small...).
You get a MOV file with an AAC-compressed sound track, ready to upload.

On Windows ... you're on your own there. Sorry. ;)
(if all else fails, send me the MP3, and i'll wrap it in a MOV for you)

-Markus