Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Dec-07 19:57:00
Subject:Re: idea for Southern Californians

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: idea for Southern Californians Roger Howard 2004-Dec-07 19:57:00
On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:32 AM, G. Donald Bain wrote:

> Any participants in Southern California looking for an idea for
> "sanctuary"? How about the Cal Earth Institute in Hesperia.
>
> Eco-friendly building techniques, looks visually interesting. Arrange
> in advance for photography , closed Sundays.
>
> http://calearth.org/

Bah! Hehehehe, ok well I'm not 100% I can make it out there for this
but it's on my list... I've been before, and put up a bunch more images
last night (after taking a bunch down from the beating I got from the
Slashdot post on Calearth yesterday - somehow I'm third hit on Google
for Calearth). I'm going to be on vacation during the next WWPano event
- and, well, my vacations aren't ever planned until about midnight the
night before I leave... part of the reason I drive on all of my
vacations )

I have some more panos to post sometime this week (they were on my
"difficult" pile, waiting for a rainy day to finish!). But I have a
gallery up so read down for the link.

Here's the message I sent to another list:

-------

Yesterday there was a feature on the popular geek news site Slashdot
about Calearth, a technique for building earth-friend and eye-friendly
homes that are sturdy and cheap/easy to construct, developed by Nader
Khalili, once the chief architect (I believe) of Iran. The basic
principle is simple - fill long, nylon tubes with earth, arrange the
tubes like sandbags, with barbed wire in between as a glue, and let
set; then finish and enjoy!

Anyway, I spent a day out at Calearth earlier in the year and noticed I
was getting a lot of traffic in my gallery yesterday so I took that
section down as a precaution. Last night I dusted off more images and
posted them, so I thought I would share for those interested. It's
probably the best place to shoot with an 8mm I've found - so pardon if
you don't like extreme fisheyes and wideangles. Some images I processed
in different ways - conversions to rectilinear, or into a circular
format.

I haven't captioned most of them, and some are odd angles - especially
the shots looking straight up in some of his structures, which can be
very disorienting through the fisheye.

<http://www.rogerroger.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=19>

Here's the description of the gallery subject:

"Calearth is a project by esteemed architect Nader Khalili, developing
and promoting Earth-friendly and practical home fabrication
technologies. His site in Hesperia, California, showcases his
beautiful, durable designs and provides workshops for families to learn
his techniques."

Any feedback welcomed,

Roger