Sender:yuval levy
Date/Time:2007-Jul-01 21:59:00
Subject:RE: drama

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: drama yuval levy 2007-Jul-01 21:59:00
--- Sacha Griffin <#removed#>
wrote:
> For someone that hates most usages of photomatix..
> That's awesome.

you hate most usages of photomatix? why? and what do
you do with high contrast scenes?

> You'll definitely have to share with me your secret.

my secret is not really a secret. it's open source
<http://qtpfsgui.sf.net/>

the Windows version is *much* less stable than the
Linux one. There's also an OSX version, but I can't
comment on it.

The latest version can finally handle the image size I
need for panos. And the author is very responsive to
user input.

So download this beauty and play with it! Try the
different operators/algorithms and toy with their
parameters until you get a feel for what you like and
what not.

What i like most about qtpfsgui is the variety of
algorithms. Puts more tools in my hand than Photomatix
or PTgui Pro who decide for me which algorithm is
better. It's a totally different approach - because
there is no absolutely better algorithm, and a lot of
subjectivity too.

Some algorithms were developed to compressing the
dynamic range into the available output device space.
Others to reveal as much detail as possible. Google
for the names associated with the algorithms, read the
scientific papers and you'll understand their
intentions. Although, like with so many inventions,
the artistic use might not be the initially intended
use.

There is this d?j?-vu feeling to those images, as the
algorithms tend to have their characteristic, much
like different blend of film had in the good old
silver-based days.

Check out <http://www.flickr.com/groups/qtpfsgui>

One thing to beware of: most algorithms render
differently at different scales. What might look over
saturated in a thumbnail is perfectly OK at 100%. I
almost gave up on the small version of the QTVR (and
put a non tonemapped LDR instead).

I love
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-open-mind/626743065/in/pool-qtpfsgui/>

I wonder how <http://www.mediavr.com/pasha.htm> would
look...

BTW I am currently looking at the above pano of Peter
Murphy using <http://freepv.sf.net/> - one of our
Google Summer of Code projects. It is as smooth as
SPi-V and/or DevalVR. QuickTime with OpenGL, if only
Apple would...

The plugin is currently available for Mozilla /
Firefox browsers only, and the Windows version is
known to have a nasty bug. The Linux version works,
though it also has a minor bug that will crash the
browser later on if another plugin (e.g. Flash - yes,
Flash 9 with flashpanoramas.com works perfectly in
Linux, and it is Linux 64bit) is started. But Leon has
another two months to fix that and to implement SPi-V
specifications so that for the first time ever SPi-V
panoramas will be available for Linux users.

Yuv

<http://128.32.102.88:8090/gen/live_preview/wwp607/html/YuvalLevy.html>

102.88:8090/gen/live_preview/wwp607/html/YuvalLevy.html>

> Most time doing this was spent in an OpenSource
> environment.
> OpenSource is community software!
>
> Yuv

> removed]