Sender:Victor
Date/Time:2007-Sep-25 03:21:00
Subject:Re: must enable commenting

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: must enable commenting Victor 2007-Sep-25 03:21:00
We've been down this road.  There's no "must" involved ... though
clearly there's some "want" on the part of some folks.

Personally, I "want" (more accurately, "would like/prefer") to see the
site kept clear of comments.  The vast majority of comments I've seen
on other sites, both large and small, add little or nothing to the
content provided.  Comments overwhelmingly consist of "ooh, isn't that
wonderfuls" and the like.  Do we need that?  I think the content on
the WWP site is wonderful in its own right.  If you have a question
for the photographer, what's wrong with email?  Annoying?  Please.
Email would seem to be the preferred medium for exchanging questions
and answers.  How would that work in a comment format?  Create a
string of comments like a thread?  Not very efficient, is that.

If it were put to a vote, I'd be against it.  Of course, this isn't a
democracy, it's up to Don and Landis to decide the character and tone
of the site.

Victor