Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2009-Feb-22 22:32:00
Subject:Re: Example of "diversity" - wedding locks attached to bridge

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Example of "diversity" - wedding locks attached to bridge Keith Martin 2009-Feb-22 22:32:00
>http://guatemalaholla.blogspot.com/2009/02/lock-bridge.html
>and
>http://www.pbase.com/keithcollicoat/image/100425264

Interesting custom! I don't see the connection with diversity though.
(Not that I'm claiming there isn't a link, but it would take some
serious explaining... :-)

Diversity is about difference, both positive and negative, although
it is normally used in a neutral or positive sense.

Social or cultural diversity could be captured through situations
where different (diverse) groups come together, whether simply by
sharing the same space (with little or no aknowledgements) or with
real interaction.

Culinary diversity could be about a wide range of foodstuffs in a
market, kitchen or store, or a trawler's catch of many different
kinds of fish.

Political diversity could be captured by showing different groups
(protesters, police, politicians, media, onlookers) in some
situation, or heated political debate between politicians from
different parties and points of view (anyone got a photographer's
pass to the House of Commons?).

Or how about the diverse kinds of transport that we might see in any
busy city? Cyclists, motorbike couriers, pedestrians, cars, buses,
trams, taxis - so many different ways for people to get around,
depending on need, circumstance, ability or whatever.

It could be something as simple as a mixed-race class of students,
something that's not even a blip on someone's mental radar in some
parts of the world but can still be unusual in other places.

So, the way I see it, this is about the things, situations,
environments, people, actions, etc. that highlight that feeling or
concept of 'difference' in some way, whether positively, negatively
or otherwise. But I'm sure other ideas will crop up soon. I'm looking
forward to seeing what we all come up with!