Sender:Alex Makienko
Date/Time:2009-May-11 14:47:00
Subject:Re: Nikon 2.8/10,5 Sigma 3.5/8 or Tokina 10-17 ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nikon 2.8/10,5 Sigma 3.5/8 or Tokina 10-17 ? Alex Makienko 2009-May-11 14:47:00
Hans,

It is obvious for me that you mix effects having absolutely different nature, however in some cases they may have similar visual appearances. Grease causes diffraction and dispersion but rear filter adds reflection (I assume that photographer knows that the rear filter has also to be cleaned :-)). Physics of these effects is different.

I apologize, but I have nothing more to add. To continue we must refer to the fundamental optics, discuss drawings, optical schemes and formulas. I am not sure that moderators will tolerate this.

Regards,
Alex

PS: The pano you refer:

http://dimensions360.com/index.php?screen=show&id=707e2b69&galle...

had been taken with two or even three rear filters. Rear filters not always have multi-coating and reflections they add significantly degrade contrast and add parasitic lighting. Spots on the sky are caused by waterdrops - at this place wind is permanently blowing from the waterfall down the canyon and it is impossible to keep lens dry.

PPS: Of course you may call spots caused by waterdrops as "flares", the physics does not depend on terms. :-)