Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2009-Jul-04 11:22:00
Subject:Re: OT: The center of a landmass

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: OT: The center of a landmass Bostjan Burger 2009-Jul-04 11:22:00
Geometric centre of the country depends on
the definition of the borders of the country. From the geographic point of view the
geometric centre of the country is only an entertainment and for funs not a real
value?in most cases. Sometimes it is used the term the
geographic centre which is for me professionally completely other thing than
geometric centre and can not be measured mathematically? but it is true the geographic
centre is in general used as a geometric centre if I want so or not? From your
question I aspect that you meant geometric centre of the country? so the answer
would be how to define a centroid which is the geometric center of the object's
shape. First you need a shapefile of the country (there can be a problem as some
shp files are without water ? sea areas, some are with...), which is actually a polygon.
Each shp file consist also a CNT (Polygon Centroid Coordinates) when you look
at it there are three fields: number of labels in polygon and that what you
want: centroid x and centroid y.

I use ArcMap format analysis but http://map-suite--winforms-edition.spatially-aware.downloadsoftware4free...
should help. You can find some more interesting at: http://www.maptools.org/ or http://mitab.maptools.org/.
Bostjan