Sender:Yahoo Account
Date/Time:2014-Jul-02 19:05:00
Subject:Re: Logging out is a bit confusing

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Logging out is a bit confusing Yahoo Account 2014-Jul-02 19:05:00
Hello Dave,

I agree, it's not as easy as it should be.

The reason for this is that the WWP handles logging on in very much the same way since its first inception, via "HTTP Basic Authentication" (which was, I think, the first way that web browsers handled user/pass stuff back in the 90's). It works in just about every browser "ever", but one inconvenience of this method is that as soon as the login credentials have been provided, there is no reliable way to "log off" ? the browser will keep on supplying login data with no "stop" or "log out" method until it's closed.

The modern way is to use cookies or url tokens, which can easily be removed to log out a user by just a click of a button.

The way to log out with our "legacy" system is to do this:
(while logged in)
1) Click "Log out" link, which will take you to a page with just one line of text.
2) Click "click here" -> the browser will once again ask for username/password.
3) This is important: While keeping the same username (should be pre-filled) leave the password field in that form empty
4) "Log in" - now the browser sends the username and "no password" and memorizes this, so it's no longer keeping the login alive.
5) The page should now read "You have successfully logged out." which is to confirm that the server has not received a name/password combo.

I've been working on a new system for close to a year now, but progress on that has been very slow. Basically, everything "visible" of the WWP could stand a makeover to catch up to the 2010's, and tablets, and mobile internet ?

-Markus