Sender:Robert Agnel via groups.io
Date/Time:2021-Feb-24 10:36:42
Subject:Re: The WWP needs your help!

wwp@groups.io: Re: The WWP needs your help! Robert Agnel via groups.io 2021-Feb-24 10:36:42
Hi Erik

I would like to thank and commend you for all the work you have done with the WWP.
Your efforts have greatly improved the WWP experience for visitors and contributors.

I?d volunteer to help with public relations or any other functions if you need backup.

Thanks again for all your work.

Stay safe.

Rob

> On Feb 13, 2021, at 12:37 PM, Erik Krause <#removed#> wrote:
>
> We need someone who feels responsible for public relations!
>
> Two years ago people began to ask publicly whether the WWP is dead. It
> took two more months until I started the rescue.
>
> For this, I wanted a group of admins so as not to make the same mistake
> again and leave the WWP in a single hand, which led to the previous
> disaster.
>
> We soon had a lively group of admins, with a lot of nice ideas on how to
> go on and what to improve.
>
> Most of these ideas have been realized since.
>
> Not only was the WWP rescued, we also got and implemented a new design.
> Image processing was moved from Markus' old Mac Mini (which processed
> the new uploads 3 times an hour offline) to the server, which does it
> immediately within a minute or two now.
>
> This turned out to be a very good move, since the Mac Mini couldn't
> handle the latest SSL certificates.
>
> Image processing was moved away from PTMender and nona to krpanotools,
> which can cope better with low memory situations. New larger thumbnails
> were created for all 9600 contributions.
>
> Almost all (all but one in fact) old contributions, which were only
> available as QTVR files, were converted to HTML5, including custom flash
> animations by Caroling Geary and multi row object movies.
>
> Dozens of bugs were fixed and lots of improvements were made to the
> internal workings of the WWP.
>
> I moved the mailing list from Yahoo (which closed) to groups.io. And we
> successfully managed ten events.
>
> The WWP is stable now. The latest change, shorter URLs, will go online soon.
>
> It was fun and an interesting challenge most of the time. Unfortunately
> we have no one in our admin team who likes Advertising and Social Media.
>
> If you feel comfortable with facebook, twitter, instagram and other
> platforms or if you know someone, this would be the way how you can help
> the WWP to grow again!
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> Herchersgarten 1