Sender:Bernhard Vogl
Date/Time:2005-Jun-27 09:27:00
Subject:Re: suggestion

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: suggestion Bernhard Vogl 2005-Jun-27 09:27:00
Hello Yuval

Don't hit your balls too hard  ;-)

I understand the concerns of a panographer for a universal and "always
available" technology to display panoramas. There is none at the moment and
maybe will never be. Only workaround would be a clever method to find out
capabilities of the client and display accordingly, as you suggested.

Every step in technology has its own kind of software that is more or less
standard for its time and technical possibilities.
Displaying (HQ-)VR panoramas it is Quicktime at the moment, Java has lost
it's "Pole position" due technical reasons (maybe Immervision can change
that). Maybe SPi-V will play that role soon. (not to offend anyone - just my
very personal point of view)
Just remember the Autodesk Animation Player. It was most popular for DOS
until Windows Media Player and Quicktime took over the role. What's next?
Displays that follow eye movement are already under development. I'm very
positive about new technology.

The same considerations apply about visualisation of data - the "map
display" in our case. Displaying GIS data (and context sensitive
visualisation of data in general as well as interconnection of different
data types) is currently moving from "static" to "dynamic" and (my personal
view - again) this will play a very important role in the (near?) future.
Worldwind is a very promising attempt and i am sure you will hear more from
this software soon. It is the forst of its kind that is free to use and has
an open interface enabling everyone to fill in whatever content you want to
see (you can already view hundrets of different datasets with the software).

So - try to be a little more positive and keep looking forward  ;-)

Best regards
Bernhard