Sender:Richard Crowest
Date/Time:2006-Jun-27 09:06:00
Subject:Re: high quality in QT 7.1.1

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: high quality in QT 7.1.1 Richard Crowest 2006-Jun-27 09:06:00
Bruce Hemming wrote -

> This event is the first time that I have used my upgraded QT and although I
> have checked
> high quality in the visual settings I'm getting horrible banding in the sky.
>
> Any advice?

What compressor are you using, Bruce? I don't usually get too much sky
banding with Photo JPEG. Sorenson suffers from it quite badly, though.

If you can't fix it by changing compressor or increasing the quality, you
could try to change the amount of colour variation in the sky itself in
Photoshop. Use the magic wand to select all of the sky, feather the edges by
a few pixels, then try using the contrast or curves controls to reduce or
increase the colour range a bit.  Reducing the contrast should reduce the
number of colour bands and make them bigger, while increasing it will
introduce more intermediate colours so the bands will get smaller and closer
together. It may help.

In my experience:
* Gaussian blur will just smooth the edges of the banding, which can make it
look more noticeable, but can also break up the recognisable compression
artefacts you often see at the edges of the bands.
* Adding noise can  help break it up, but will make the JPEG compression
less efficient and so increase the file size.

Hope it helps.

By the way, does anyone know if that High Quality setting actually does
anything to QTVRs? I've never been able to notice any difference.

Regards,

Richard