Sender:Troy Ward
Date/Time:2006-Jun-27 15:41:00
Subject:Re: high quality in QT 7.1.1

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: high quality in QT 7.1.1 Troy Ward 2006-Jun-27 15:41:00
HI Bruce,

Is this happening on pano's made by other people or just on the ones you made?

The color banding you speak of is related to color bit depth. If you
started with a small jpeg file ( ie small original image say 2 megs or
less) and did a lot of editing to the color information this can happen
especially in sky where smooth gradients between individual colors is very
important. When you resample the image down to web delivery size you loose
even more color information.

If your monitor is not set to high color in images with lots of bit depth
you will see color banding. It won't show in solid colors like logos and
computer art but it will show in photos or very fine gradients.

Troy Ward