Sender:Carl von Einem
Date/Time:2006-Oct-18 22:33:00
Subject:Re: WWP enhancements for 07

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: WWP enhancements for 07 Carl von Einem 2006-Oct-18 22:33:00
New viewing technology will only lead to incompatibility with a lot of
panos we have now. With such a large number of contributions (exploring
special techniques within the existing viewer) from different people I
see no chance to move to a different viewer. One more viewer to choose
from will cause frustrated guests.

I'd like to have all (and I think of every event) panos with good
keywords. Volunteers could tag several contributions each with keywords
from a set that is set up in advance, like landscape (forest, mountain,
desert,...), traffic (trains, cars, ferries, aircraft,...), art (comic,
dream, fantasy,...). Also another two or three sets of keywords:
technique (by camera, lens type, fov, poleshots, macro, film/digital),
date/time, coordinates.

So we explore panos by time / technique / part of the world (ok, we have
the map for that), and are there panos shot at the same time?

Imagine a pano and (for all events) not only one button for the next
pano (alphabetical) but also Next (with this type of camera), Next
(coordinates), Random...

I'd also love to have a world map with one or two steps more inside a
part of the world. We now have such a big number of panos in several
spots of the world. Google Earth is great but I'd like to zoom in more
inside the worldwidepanorama!

Posted by: "Roger Howard"

> A few items that have repeatedly come to mind when exploring WWP:
>
> 1) A sense of communications

yes

> 2) Some form of search

great

> 3) To go along with search, some form of extended metadata support;
> perhaps a freetagging solution to allow end users to contribute to the
> searchability of each page/object.

interesting

> 4) Integration with outside services; trackbacks (so we can see who is
> saying what about the site) and de.licio.us come to mind.

ok

> 5) Protected contact forms, to make it easy for the audience to
> communicate directly with the content creator(s) without having to post
> email addresses in plaintext on the Web

cool!

> This is fun  :)

fun is most important :-)