Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2007-Jun-30 21:40:00
Subject:RE: thumbnail

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: thumbnail Markus Altendorff 2007-Jun-30 21:40:00
--- Caroling Geary <#removed#> schrieb:

> Just curious, why do you make the thumbnail from the
> larger movie? I
> made a mistake and forgot to set the initial view of
> the Full-Screen.
> The view I want in the thumbnail is the initial view
> I set in the
> smaller movie. Could you make the thumbnail from
> that? I will redo
> the larger one and send a thumbnail too, in case
> this is too much
> custom work.

Hi Caroling,

the reason i'm making the thumbnail from the larger
movie is due to a change in my workflow.
So far, i've opened the movie folder in
GraphicConverter and ran the "batch convert" command,
which resulted in a second folder of images from the
initial view of the movie. To speed things up a bit,
i've used the smaller movies.
A few weeks ago, Don asked if there was some way to
create a huge collage-like print of all WWP panos to
decorate the walls at the reception at Berkeley. The
snapshots from GraphicConverter were always the size
of the original movie's setup, i.e. 500x200 or
320x240, all kinds of sizes and ratios, and with very
bad resolution (for printing).
Due to time constraints, the decoration didn't happen,
but one sheet is for example visible in the panorama
from the WWP reception at
http://conference.ivrpa.org/gallery/vr/wwp_reception_look_up
(the print hanging just left of the screen).

I've written an Applescript that accepts a selection
of files (preferrably QTVRs, of course), opens each
one in Quicktime Player, makes the window full-screen
and takes a screenshot at 1600x1200 which it crops
down to 1500x1000, removing the QT Player window
frame. The source for the thumbnails is thus
standardized and at much higher quality than before.

Well, that's the reason i'm using the fullscreen
panos. Of course, i can make thumbnails from the
normal sized panos, too, if i know i should :)
So far, i've just assumed that the small and large
panos will be identical (apart from the size and
resolution) for most of the contributions.

And that's the story behind that :)

-Markus

P.S.: I've taken your thumbnail from your next mail
and put it online. Sorry it took a bit longer, wasn't
following my mail the last hours.

      __________________________________  BE A BETTER INTERNET-GURU: Jetzt Frage stellen und einen von 44 iPods gewinnen! www.yahoo.de/clever