Sender:Caroling Geary
Date/Time:2007-Jul-02 19:30:00
Subject:Re: International Polar Year event?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: International Polar Year event? Caroling Geary 2007-Jul-02 19:30:00
There is an ideas database somewhere on the Yahoo site. I really like
your idea.

Except I wouldn't participate. I'm not going to learn how to attach
my camera to take photographs on a pole. Even if a tripod is a
"pole", that idea is a technical theme. Usually our themes are
conceptual, leaving technique out of it. I believe the aim of the
theme of an event is to stimulate, not to limit. If you extended the
theme to "polar", that would work. The theme could be "polar
opposites", for example. Or following your suggestion, it could be
pointing polar, exploring the linkages between polar regions and
local region. Usually our themes can be narrowly or broadly
interpreted. That leaves room for great variety and creativity. Some
panoramas have no GPS points at all. Maybe you could provide some
north and south pole pictures that we could incorporate in our panos.

Hmm, as for when it is, maybe the March, 2009 WWP could be a "Best of
IPY". We could start working on these panos now and choose our
favorite for the March 2009 finale. I think that would be exciting.
People would inevitably be sharing what they do over the months of
the year and a half. And there is a contact buzz that gives other
people ideas, so it would build.

Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net