Sender:Mark D. Fink
Date/Time:2008-Mar-19 19:12:00
Subject:RE: WWP server: Something new

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: WWP server: Something new Mark D. Fink 2008-Mar-19 19:12:00
Brilliant!

Mark

www.nyc.360cities.net <http://www.nyc.360cities.net/>

www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

  _____

From: #removed# [mailto:#removed#] On Behalf Of Markus
Altendorff
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:29 AM
To: #removed#
Subject:  WWP server: Something new

Hi,

now that we've begun "Beginnings", i'd like to talk a bit about a new
feature on the server: how you can define the panorama thumbnail image
yourself.

Sorry, no, it's still not 100% interactive/instantaneous, but this new
option should help us to avoid thumbnails with obviously bad image cropping
(of head/feet/buildings etc).

Here's how to:

1) upload your panorama as usual
2) beneath the three upload buttons "normal", "fullscreen" and "soundtrack",
you'll notice a new text line, saying "Thumbnail view is ...", with the
"[EDIT]" box.
3) This leads to a text link (sorry! lazy recycled coding...), and another
click takes you to a pop-up window where your panorama will load into a
200x100 view, the same size as the thumbnail. This should give a pretty
accurate display of the final result, except for a certain "pixelated" look
that Quicktime always gets when scaled down to such small sizes.
4) Rotate/zoom until you're happy with the view.
5) press the "Set thumbnail view" button.

This needs Javascript, interacting with Quicktime and reading the
pan/tilt/zoom angle every 0.3 seconds. I've successfully tried it with
Mac/PC and my "known" browsers (IE 5-7, Safari 3 + 3.1, Firefox 1.5 and 2),
on XP, Win2000 and MacOS X 10.4/10.5.

If you don't want to try this feature, just leave it at the default (0/0/0)
setting, which means that (as before) the standard view you used to build
the panorama will become the thumbnail (including any vertical cropping that
may occur).

For a short step-by-step video, take a look at:
http://128.32.
<http://128.32.102.88:8090/tutorials/how-to-pick-thumbnail.mov>
102.88:8090/tutorials/how-to-pick-thumbnail.mov

The thumbnails are built later by downloading a list of those angles, and
parsing it through a homemade RunRev program that, in essence, loads each
pano, spins it to the recorded values and takes a snapshot into a JPEG file.

-Markus