Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2008-Sep-07 17:23:00
Subject:Re: audio: colors in unison

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: audio: colors in unison Keith Martin 2008-Sep-07 17:23:00
Sometime around 7/9/08 (at 12:03 -0500) Caroling Geary said:

>Yes, if our computers could output scents, that might add to a
>panorama. But we do have speakers and WWP does allow audio files

Absolutely. :-)

Sorry Caroling, I was just having a bit of a 'musing moment', no
disruption or disagreement intended!

Regarding the dominance of scent or sight senses in species, here's
something you may find interesting:

A couple of years ago a friend put a tiny remote-transmitting webcam
onto his cat's collar. Don't worry, he totally dotes on his cat and
he made sure it was no bother to her.
What was most interesting about the footage was how incredibly
scent-dominated cats are. Everything - absolutely everything - she
did as she travelled around the local neighborhood gardens and alleys
involved smelling things. It was like getting a sneak peek into a
world outlook that was even more different from ours than we ever
expected.
I love cats and have always lived with them, partly because they're
such fascinatingly alien creatures.

I wonder what it would be like experiencing the world using scent as
a high-level added dimension. Would it be like seeing extended
wavelengths and experiencing new colours?