Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2008-Oct-11 15:51:00
Subject:Re: Funding the WWP

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Funding the WWP G. Donald Bain 2008-Oct-11 15:51:00
Robert,

Thank you for the interesting suggestions.

Putting panoramas and panoramic artists in the public eye is the basic
reason for the WWP. The means we have chosen so far has been the web
site. But other media venues might also be worth considering. Revenue
for the Foundation's ongoing work is an interesting possibility.

In particular I think that printed posters might be worth considering.
The panos that have been submitted have all been intended and designed
for interactive use on a video screen, and that is part of the
copyright agreement between participants and the WWP. So a new
copyright permission would need to be obtained specifically for each
work used on a poster (or a calendar or mug).

Another of the WWP's basic principles is that the images will never be
separated from the photographers name, and usually not from the title
and location, and that notice of copyright by the photographer/artist
be included. This would apply to presentation in media other than the
web site also.

I see a poster (or series of posters) primarily as a way to create
interest and bring traffic to the web site. They could be distributed
free to schools and educators. But we could also sell them through a
fulfillment company such as CafePress.

We could also sell other CafePress items such as T-shirts and bags,
with or without panoramas on them (using our logo). There is a
guaranteed audience for this within the VR community - I would
certainly buy a WWP T-shirt.

Don