Sender:Victor Zaveduk
Date/Time:2009-Sep-29 19:52:00
Subject:RE: thumbnail and prefer Flash request

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: thumbnail and prefer Flash request Victor Zaveduk 2009-Sep-29 19:52:00
Time . good here too, I have yet to write up a description.

I too have found issue with the thumbnails.   At first, I went with just the
JPEG/Flash versions.   Everything seemed to work OK, but I must admit I was
extremely disappointed in the quality of the resulting image.  I know the
initial presentation is a "quick and dirty" one, but I thought that after a
day or so, the "real" version would be on the page.  If that's what it looks
like, yuck is all I can say.

So today I thought I'd cook up some QuickTime versions.  Well, that presents
an issue all unto itself as I'm running Vista64 . dunno 'bout now, but
previously there really was no way to run it on this platform.   I run an
XP-Pro virtual machine for things like that.  But I digress.   I created the
MOV files, uploaded'em and at first, it appeared as if the site
ignored/overwrote the initial view, pan and zoom limit settings I had
embedded in the MOV files, even though it was clear (from the tool/menubar
under the image) that a QuickTime version was running.  Turns out I needed
to "reset" the preference to QuickTime, clear out caches, and only then did
the RIGHT set of initial conditions and limits appear.  Frustrating.  Then
of course, the prep page said there was no thumbnail.   Well, I HAD a
thumbnail before, through the FLASH interface.  But now that I "prefer" QT,
it doesn't show it.   Okay,  I'll create one using the "tool" on the site.
To that, I can only say . Bring back the option to upload my own file!!
Sure, I can scroll and zoom in to set up the thumbnail, but apparently only
within the limits that I've allowed in the QT movie.  I'd like to zoom in
farther for the thumbnail . no can do.   Plus, I can't see any thumb on the
page, even though I could previously.  Similar problem to Caroling's?
Sigh.  To be honest, I'd just as soon be able to upload my own thumbnail
JPEG as a nice, clear and detailed image rather than the cruddy zoomed in QT
image.  Sigh again.

At least the QT versions looked a bit clearer than the Flash version.  I
don't know why that should be as I can easily create my own Flash files
(either through a viewer or SWF) that look better than what is appearing on
the WWP page.  Again, perhaps the "real" versions aren't visible yet.  But
it makes it hard to judge how things will ultimately turn out.   Hopefully
things will improve.   (As an aside, I've always found that things look
different coming back through the site than they do "locally" so getting
good feedback is important.)

BTW . re. QT and Vista . any help with that would be appreciated, since
there's no way for me to hear sound as it stands right now since all the
sound on the site is QT driven with no other option even though the upload
file can be MP3 option.

Victor Z