Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2011-Sep-17 17:08:00
Subject:Re: 11 hours until "History" starts ...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 11 hours until "History" starts ... Bostjan Burger 2011-Sep-17 17:08:00
Here is my story of the pano which I am going to upload: I drove 80 km from my home to Notranjska Region yesterday evening. We were a team of six spelunkers. The entrance into the cave and being there was with hi risk as the water could rise within some minutes and passages were very tight - as an example of only one passage with over 50 m of creeping in about 30 cm tall tunnel. I have taken the minimum of the equipement, that is only Canon 5DII withTokina 107, Precision Atom, Velbone carbone tripod and a 1000 ANSI lumen torch with wide beam for lightpainting.
It was a historical night for the exploration of the ?olnici-Obrh Cave. The cave is not a usual cave as it is a vent-hole and a spring of the Obrh brook which flows into the intermediate lake Cerkni?ko jezero. The entry into the cave was discovered already in the year 2007 by the spelunking team of DLKJ lead by Slovenian geographer Matej Kr?i? but the further exploration was not possible due the nature of the cave which is in the epifreatic zone (maybe even freatic zone), that means that the cave is below the water. The low rainfall in a time from 15th to 17th September dried the siphons and the entry into the cave was possible trough the tight passages right to the dried subterranean riverbed. The visualization displays the cave from the entry with the tree roots hanging from the roof of the narrow passage trough the passages in dolomite with the manganese oxide and covered with the yellowish mud. The walls of the dried riverbed and the roof are
 with the extraordinary »micro-chimneys« caused most probably due the very fast rise of the subterranean water flow which has captured the air bubbles. The visualization covers 300 m of the cave. The same day the exploration team has discovered over the 1000 new meters of the cave with the caverns with the roofs covered with the 1.5 m long thin stalactites. I have already stiched panos which I will now use for a cabinet exploration and study of the cave: http://www.burger.si/Jame/ColniciObrh/vrp_eng.html .
I am curious (as always) to see the others panos and indeed your stories... oh yes... "Forest event"... if you follow the subterranean tour to the exit of the cave you can see how does look forest below the ground (http://www.burger.si/Jame/ColniciObrh/01.html) ;)

Bostjan