Sender:Yahoo Account
Date/Time:2013-Apr-03 09:43:00
Subject:Re: We are ready for html5 and up to 1.5 Terapixel panoramas

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: We are ready for html5 and up to 1.5 Terapixel panoramas Yahoo Account 2013-Apr-03 09:43:00
Hello Michel, and all,

yes, it's evolving :-).

I've updated the panorama player (krpano) to 1.16, rewritten the embedding javascript code, and the new version supports a HTML5/CSS3/WebGL alternative for devices without Quicktime or Flash.
It has "some" limitations, mainly that it requires cube faces in JPEG format (which the server builds in three sizes from uploaded spherical jpegs), and that browsers' support is spotty. e.g. on Android devices, I can reliably crash both my test tablets with Android 4.0 and 4.1 by feeding them cube faces bigger than 512x512 pixels...
iPads have support for 1024x1024 cube faces, so they get better pictures.
Desktop browsers eat 2048x2048 without problems.

krpano supports device filtering, so Android and iphones < 5.1 get 512x512, iPads and iphones 5.1.+ get 1024x1024, and desktop gets "qtvr via flash" or 2048x2048 as a fallback.

At the moment, the playback module is "optimistic", meaning that it assumes there'll be something to display. Which fails for anything before 2009, where we first started with JPEG upload. Older entries exist only as QuicktimeVR files, and the flash player can read most that are a) cubical and b) JPEG.

So the current "compatibility ranking" is:

A) spherical JPEG uploads post-2008 -> get server-converted to work with flash, qtvr, and HTML5
B1) cylindrical JPEG uploads post-2008 -> get server-converted to work with flash, qtvr, but not HTML5
B2) older MOV uploads cubical/jpeg -> work "as is" with flash, qtvr, but not HTML5
C) older MOV uploads of other kinds, including cylindrical -> work "as is" with QTVR only

I'm pondering whether to add some kind of "compatibility marker" on the lists or to look into converting the 5044 pre-2009 panoramas (which brings the need to check if they work as intended, because we had some *very* creative uses of QuicktimeVR's capabilities in the "early days" which will not carry over to flash etc. through an automated process)...

-Markus

P.S. one of "HTML5" and "Terapixel" was April Fool's ;-)