Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2013-Jul-17 22:19:00
Subject:Re: [WWPano] ZKM Copyright Infringement – Statute of Limitations

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: [WWPano] ZKM Copyright Infringement – Statute of Limitations Roger Howard 2013-Jul-17 22:19:00
Kathy - just chiming in here as I've been following these threads but
otherwise quiet on this list for years.

All civil grievances have a statute of limitations, including claims of
copyright violation. The clock generally starts when the offending act
occurred (though in some issues it's when the offense was discovered) and
stops when a suit is filed.

All Reinhard was saying was that if you hadn't filed suit by the time the
statute of limitations ran out (apparently late 2011) then you missed your
window. This has *nothing* to do with how quick or slow the courts move,
since filing suit is only the first step and doesn't depend on the court
being fast or slow. It's about how fast the complainant moved - in this
case anyone who felt ZKM violated their copyright.

Reinhard filed suit well within the window, and his case was successfully
resolved in his favor. The court obviously moved quickly enough.

If people were waiting for the first suit to get resolved before filing
their own, that was a mistake :( Sometimes a court itself will decide to
combine similar cases, but until you've filed the statute of limitations
clock is still running.