Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2004-Sep-26 17:48:00
Subject:Re: More on the scanning thing

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: More on the scanning thing Markus Altendorff 2004-Sep-26 17:48:00
Mike Morper wrote:
> I just reread the message I sent last night... I was incorrect in the
> ratio I noted below. A cylinder panoramic image needs to be not only
> divisible by 96 horizontally, but by 4 vertically. So, the REAL ratio
> is 96:4. Sorry for the confusion. Now back to your regularly scheduled
> program. Note to self: no more emails after 10pm ;)

Uhm, actually, it's just that the size in pixels for each tile
must be divisible by 4 (guess there's some bit/byte reason for
this). I made lots of panoramas in my "cylinder" days that did
not have the 96:4 ratio...

The 96 comes from the days when the tracks for QuicktimeVRs were
24 frames/tiles wide by design, each having to be divisible by 4,
so for "(n/4) / 24 = integer" to be true, you'd have to have n to
be divisible by 96 = 4*24.

I'd go for at least 1000 pixels height for each picture when
scanning, if your computer/software can handle it (since you
mentioned PS CS, i guess it'll be able to).

You can scale it down in Photoshop so the length is divisible by
96, and then crop it so the height is divisible by 4 afterwards.

Good luck - stitching it using only photoshop usually produces a
slightly odd "pasted on cylinder" look, kind of like the days of
old with cutting and glueing pictures together... (or does CS
have some panorama assistant that will bend the pictures
accordingly?)

Yours,
Markus