Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2004-May-27 05:41:00
Subject:Re: World Heritage List - Database of Locations?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: World Heritage List - Database of Locations? Landis 2004-May-27 05:41:00
>Mybe it would be a good idea if we would start a list of locations again
>- to ensure to spread ourselves to as many locations as possible?
>
>Best regards
>Bernhard

Good idea.  I've created a new database where you can add your
information.  Please don't feel that if somebody has claimed a site
that you can't do it as well.  Many of these sites are quite large
and can definitely benefit from more than one point of view.

Database:

UNESCO World Heritage List:
http://whc.unesco.org/nwhc/pages/sites/main.htm

There are many very interesting sites on the official UNESCO list and
*many* sites that are just as deserving that aren't on the list.

As for using tripods or having permission, I think it might be a good
idea to plan ahead.  I've taken panoramas of many of the ones on the
list in the US (and a couple in Canada) and I can say that it wasn't
a problem.  It just depends on where you are planning on going.  I
don't think it's too hard to get some decent shots of the Grand
Canyon (Arizona) using a tripod and taking your time, but a nice
panorama inside Mammoth Caves (Kentucky) will take some forethought
and the proper permissions.

All in all, I think this will be another great opportunity to promote
our community and put together an awesome collective project.

-Landis