Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Oct-04 18:34:00
Subject:Re: Bragging about Mika & suggestion for next event.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Bragging about Mika & suggestion for next event. Roger Howard 2004-Oct-04 18:34:00
On Oct 4, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Bo wrote:

> OK guys,
>
> I have to brag about my friend Mika in Japan,  she participated for
> the first time in the World Herritage event, with a homebuild rig
> holding a fisheye lens infront of her Canon SD-10...
>
> and now she is back with a even better panorama, this time
> photographed using the panorama feature (lock) on the camera and a
> acrylic multilevel rig.  its cool, you gotta see it to appriciate
> it.
>
> I am really proud of her creativity, since it is only a few months
> since she started photographing panoramas at all, she have been
> struggleing with concepts such as distortion, nodal point and so
> on..!   Knowing how long the road have been, makes her contribution
> much more exciting to me.
>
> http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp904/html/MikaTakizawa.html
>

> For me, tutoring and making suggestions have been as least as
> rewarding as any other aspect of the event. Because of this, I want
> to suggest thinking about adding a challenge to the next event.
> Each one of us bring a new person, and teach them how to take a
> panorama using THEIR available digital camera, computer and so on.
> If required we will help them bend a piece of flat metal for a
> bracket, what ever it takes. (smile)  Objective is to create a new
> group of people capturing panoramas.

Bo -

You've told me about Mika before but I hadn't realized she had been
involved in the last WWP, let alone this one - her work looks great,
beyond beginner level for sure (doesn't hurt to have an expert tutor!).
Congrats to both of you.

I think your idea of each of us mentoring someone is a great one - I
know just the person I want to include next time around... so many
folks have digital cameras these days, and I think panography is an
excellent (if not a little tricky) way to help them move from snapshots
to something more gratifying - I know I do this mostly for personal
reasons, and find a lot of joy in the results.

Thanks for the great idea :)

PS, dinner this week... somewhere pano worthy!!

-R