Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Oct-05 23:52:00
Subject:Re: Global Cordinates ;-)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Global Cordinates ;-) Roger Howard 2004-Oct-05 23:52:00
On Oct 5, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Bo wrote:

> Leave it to the blond in this party to be confused...!

Then let another chime in and agree with your assessment!

> But I just don't get it.
>
> Tudor your panorama of the bridge in the garden is very cool.
>
> But since most of us submitted GPS cordinates in the last event, and
> again in this event.  We were all delighted when the WWP event were
> recognized by other websites as being ultra cool.  And durring all
> this time we had our GPS cordinates available for anyone visiting
> with a web-browser to view, and God forbid.. Write down and possibly
> go visit.
>
> So.  my confusion comes from, what is so different by taking the
> next step and plotting the cordinates on a map ?  There is no
> information available which had not always been available.
>
> Or am I missting the point entirely?  (now that is rather likely
> since I do have a way of misunderstanding stuff.)
>
> Personally I would want to see a world map with a gazillion pins,
> linking to all future WWP events, and why not additional locations
> we all have photographed, it would be a great way to introduce the
> world to anyone with a browser, and between us, I am pretty sure we
> cover a LOT of real estate. ;-)  Imagine a world map with say 20
> panorams represented from 250 photographers... that is like they say
> about the lawyers... A good start.

No, you're right Bo - I don't get the concern with the mapping if one
has already submitted the same coordinates - what did you think they'd
be used for? I've often plugged in coords from WWPano into TerraBrowser
so I can get an overhead view of the location of some of these panos...
if you don't want precision, then provide imprecise coordinates, that's
it - don't provide precise coordinates and hope for a flag that Landis
will use to round them off... if it's a privacy/security issue, you
shouldn't be submitting precise coordinates (or location names)!

Cheers,

Roger