Sender:Douglas L. Urner
Date/Time:2005-Apr-19 15:37:00
Subject:Re: Best VR Panoramic Software

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Best VR Panoramic Software Douglas L. Urner 2005-Apr-19 15:37:00
mfred987 wrote:

 > What would all of you consider to be the best panoramic software for
 > Windows?

I use a Mac these days, but most of the programs will have versions  for
both platforms.

My three favorites are (roughly in order):

  - RealViz Sticher 4.0.4

    I've only used Stitcher on the Mac, and I've heard that it is not as
    robust on Windows.

    If you plan to use a fisheye lens you'll need a program to "defish"
    the images before bringing them into Stitcher.  Panorama Tools is
    great for this.

    The only major downside to Stitcher is its cost (assuming you're not
    getting paid for your panoramas).  There is a "lite" version,
    Stitcher Express, but I don't think it has 16 bit support.  I don't
    know if there is an upgrade path to the full version of Stitcher.

    Whether you decide to go with Stitcher or not the Stitcher forum on
    www.realviz.com is really worth checking out, there is a ton of
    valuable information in the back postings.

  - PTMac/PTGui + Panorama Tools

    I think these are a "must have" for doing panoramic work, even if you
    use another program for most of your stitching with another program.
    The GUI front ends (PTMac for the Macintosh and PTGui for Windows
    really ease the process of creating the scripts to drive PT and the
    Photoshop plugins offer a wealth of useful features - like remapping
    lens projections and correcting lens errors.  You can also use PT to
    make view camera like corrections to your images.

    The forums at www.kekus.com (who makes PTMac) and the Panorama Tools
    Wiki at http://wiki.panotools.org/Main_Page
    are great resources for learning to use Panorama Tools and for
    for information about panoramas in general.

  - 3DPhotoBuilder

    This is a quirky, Windows only, stitching program that is cheap ($60
    for the basic version) and does a really credible job of automated
    stitching.  It can't do spherical panoramas though.  You can download
    a demo from www.anything3d.com.

    3DPhotoBuilder can also do object movies, though I switched to a Mac
    before I got interested in how to do them.

Hope this helps, Doug
--
Douglas L. Urner <#removed#> Port Orchard, WA +1 360 769 5565