Sender:Dieter Lotze
Date/Time:2005-Jun-25 03:43:00
Subject:Re: Fisheye vs. Rectilinear

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Fisheye vs. Rectilinear Dieter Lotze 2005-Jun-25 03:43:00
On 24/6/05 20:52, "Tom Lassiter" <#removed#> wrote:

> I've been using a 10.5 mm Nikkor, stitching with PTMac, and getting
> good sharpness and easy stitches with PTMac.
>
> I'm trying to land a client who has an extremely critical eye for
> detail and resolution. He also has a low tolerance for distortion, so
> the spherical QTVR images will have a more limited wide "zoom" so
> than I might normally deliver.
>
> The question: Can I expect more detail/higher resolution in the
> finished image by switching to a 14 mm rectilinear lens? Reviews of
> the Sigma 14 mm seem fairly positive, except for flare. I'll be
> shooting interiors, so that may be less of an issue. Or for a
> super-critical client, is the 14 mm Nikkor wide-angle necessary?
>
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> Tom

I am using the Sigma 14mm since a while. It is  a great lens, very sharp and
nearly  no distortion (which can be corrected easily). The glare is an
issue, even insight if there is a light bulb or els on top of the camera. I
just tape  a  piece of black cardboard as a lenshood just so that the glare
dissapears!

I am just going to buy myself the 10.5mm now. It will make it easier to
shoot 360X180 and will reduce single rows to 6 frames

Samples of my work with the 14mm you can see on my website!