Sender:Richard Crowest
Date/Time:2005-Oct-23 09:26:00
Subject:Re: Doctype changes for % dimensions

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Doctype changes for % dimensions Richard Crowest 2005-Oct-23 09:26:00
--- In #removed#, Caroling Geary <#removed#> wrote:

> A few months ago we were talking about problems getting widths and
> heights specified in % to display correctly in Firefox or other
> I've been changing my doctypes
> from this:
> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.01 transitional//en"
>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> To this:
> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.01 transitional//en">
>
> Suddenly I'm wondering what that loose.dtd is intended to achieve. Or
> rather, what functionality am I losing by removing it? Will other
> browsers have even worse problems than before?

Caroling, I suspect that the issue with percentages is due to the way certain browsers
render pages, depending on (a) what the doctype is and (b) whether or not that URL is
included after the first part. There's a very thorough examination of the subject by CSS
guru Eric Meyer here:

http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html

It doesn't address the percentages question directly, but I would imagine it's related to the
underlying issues that the article does cover in detail. Hope it might be of use.

Regards,

Richard