Sender:B Yen
Date/Time:2006-Jul-13 03:18:00
Subject:Re: National Geographic promotes VR to kids

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: National Geographic promotes VR to kids B Yen 2006-Jul-13 03:18:00
I know the chief editor of National Geographic, we corresponded back
in '97 during the Comet Hale-Bopp apparition.  I need to start
exploiting my contacts @NG, Newsweek, et al to advocate the New
Mediums.  I just now realized in a few phone conversations, that "Old
School" guys just don't get it

"This is Old [ "Standard Model" ], therefore it is GOOD [ status
quo ].  This is New [ "Alternative Model", New Mediums ], thus it is
BETTER [ progress ]"
-- anonymous

I need to network with other WWPano photographers, on how to get QTVR
"promoted" throughout the mainstream-media.

Feel free to email me privately.

I'm working in the area of LiveWebCasting, Video-podcasting
("Alternative Model", http://www.jumplive.com).  Here's a video-blog
of my travels thru Death Valley:

http://desertoutback.blogspot.com/
[ scroll to the bottom ]

I got the handheld video-clip up to the Web in as short as 30 min
(using satellite-DSL equipped 4x4 van, Death Valley has no cellphone
or Internet access).  I could easily have blogged a QTVR panorama up
to the web on a blog.

Here's a blog with a QTVR pano:

http://cosmic-variance.blogspot.com/
http://susy06.blogspot.com

I'm just starting out in QTVR panorama (with help from J. Leung, D.
Goldwasser, P. Nyfeler for stitching):

http://caltechscience.com/qtvr/qtvr.html

Here's a good article on Multimedia, Blogosphere, Citizen Journalist

http://journalism.wlu.edu/Reynolds/miller.html

"Citizen journalism is emerging from the blogosphere as a possible
way back to civic engagement. Through experimentation, revelation and
expectation, ordinary people are changing the model of mainstream
media. Look at what happened in the wake of the massive tsunami of
December 2004. Before mainstream media could get to the region,
video, audio and written reports from people who witnessed the
tragedy were providing news to the world about the event.

These citizen journalists and bloggers are demonstrating a
fundamental shift in authority. That authority will continue to shift
from once trusted institutions to communities or individuals who have
earned credibility. And the authenticity they bring will directly
affect news media coverage. We saw that happen with CBS and Rather-gate.

Citizen journalism allows people to go around traditional media to
get information they want and to communicate broadly to whomever they
want.

Journalism has already been commoditized by the multinational
corporations that own U.S. media, so let?s use all media too loudly
and consistently trumpet the value of accurate and relevant
information in support of our way of life. This should be a prime
season to do it as our way of life and place in the world is being
challenged home and abroad. "