Sender:rcrowest
Date/Time:2005-Jun-23 11:11:00
Subject:Re: Too dark?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Too dark? rcrowest 2005-Jun-23 11:11:00
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I've made some adjustments, and
also re-calibrated my monitor: the ambient light makes an enormous
difference to the way things appear, especially with the rather dim
LCD panel on a laptop. My previous setting now looks hopelessly
washed-out...

--- In #removed#, Caroling Geary <#removed#> wrote:
> I'd say you need to consider the aesthetic effect you want. On my Mac
> set to dark gamma, there are black/shadow/dark areas, but they serve to
> set the green colors to glowing. They are rather dramatic. I've gotten
> in a habit of doing the Photoshop adjustment of shadow/highlight. There
> is always much more detail in contrasty areas than first appears. I
> like seeing the details. However, I always increase the midtone
> contrast for definition and punch.

Thanks, Caroling. The aesthetic effect was precisely my concern - I
wanted it to look as close as possible to how it was when I was there.
Willy kindly sent me an adjusted version which looked good and had
strong colours, but felt like mid-day.

Funnily enough, I just discovered the shadow/highlight adjustment
yesterday. I'd never even spotted it before, being so far down the
list, but it did exactly what I wanted, and that midtone contrast
setting was a revelation. I had to go back and tweak things again,
though - it had introduced some colour banding in the water surface,
which I really didn't want to happen.

I've ended up with what I hope is a good compromise. I'm uploading
now, so fingers crossed...

Thanks again,

Richard