Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2005-Sep-07 16:28:00
Subject:Re: Current event - ENERGY

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Current event - ENERGY Landis 2005-Sep-07 16:28:00
>Last Sunday I've bought GEO magazine (in Russian) devoted to Albert
>Einstein. As I've read that Year 2005 is World Year of Physics and
>there are many events related to importance of Physics in our
>everyday life.
>
>I suspect that there are many landmarks of Physics and physicists in
>different countries, not only nuclear power stations.
>
>Please look into
>http://www.physics2005.org (in English) and
>http://www.einsteinjahr.de (German).

Thank you Andrew.  Yes, the World Year of Physics was a driving
impetus in the selection of the Energy theme for the upcoming WWP.
Please do check out those websites to come up with some more ideas.

The theme can be so much more than just power generation stations.  I
live across the street from a playground and let me tell you there is
quite a lot of energy there.  Any bicyclist will tell you all about
potential energy even while sitting still at the top of a steep road.
At a junk yard you will see monuments to kinetic energy in the
crushed metal of discarded cars.  Open up to more than just the first
thing that jumps to your mind when you hear 'energy'.

Of course, there are many types of power generation stations and if
you've already set your sights on that, it's a great subject.  But
please be sure to be safe when doing so.  Make sure your photography
is permitted by local standards.  Don't get yourself or us in trouble
by 'poaching' a shot.  If you get special permission to take your
photographs in an area not usually open to the public make sure that
those in charge of the plant know your intended use and that there
are not any security concerns in showing the images on the internet.

We'll try to get you some more guidance on the theme soon, but in the
mean time, please feel free to discuss ideas on the list.

-Landis