Sender:Scott Highton
Date/Time:2005-Sep-14 14:58:00
Subject:Re: Twenty Questions for the VR Photographer

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Twenty Questions for the VR Photographer Scott Highton 2005-Sep-14 14:58:00
--- Carl von Einem <#removed#> wrote:
> > Scott, in question 3, point E I read: "One of two optical centers
for
> > a lens. The rear one represents the axis about which a camera is
> > rotated for panoramic photography."
> >
> > Should read ...front one... isn't?
>
> ...and 'point' instead of 'axis', at least for multirows :-)
>
> Carl

Hi all,

Good queries made here.  I love that everyone is so focused on detail.

The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography includes the following regarding
nodal points and planes:

"Rotating a lens about a vertical axis through the rear nodal point
keeps the image of a distant object stationary, a property used in
determining the location of the nodal points of a lens and also in
determining the correct location of the pivot point for panoramic
cameras.

"Focal length and image conjugate distances are measured from the rear
nodal point, and object distances are measured to the front nodal
point."

Regards,

Scott Highton
Author, Virtual Reality Photography