Sender:Brooks Leffler
Date/Time:2005-Oct-20 01:26:00
Subject:Re: Energy, Security...and file size limits

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Energy, Security...and file size limits Brooks Leffler 2005-Oct-20 01:26:00
--- In #removed#, Jeffrey Engel <#removed#> wrote:

> WOW... I'm interested in how you shot the digesters. I'm surprised you
> didn't fall through those coverings. Obviously you didn't, so I guess
> there's so much pressure underneath that it's like walking on the top
> of a hot-air balloon? Tell us a bit about it, if you're willing.

The lagoon is covered with a 60-mil hi-density poly cover -- that's pretty thick, about like
a tire inner tube (remember those?).  I was going to shoot from the side, but when the CEO
casually bounded out on the cover, I decided to do so too, and it made a much better shot
from the middle.

There is at least a meter or two of methane underneath the cover, so it really is like a huge
air mattress.  The liquid showing in the valleys is rainwater from a rare thunderstorm the
night before, not leakage.  But one does think about falling into such a cesspool.

The biggest problem was keeping my 11-ft (3m) pole steady on this wallowing surface.  I
had a bubble level I could read from below, but looking up and holding on was pretty
wobbly to say the least.  Thanks to PTMac, I was able to level each of the four images so
the horizon stays level.

bgl