Sender:Edward Fink
Date/Time:2005-Oct-21 14:41:00
Subject:RE: My 3 suggestions to improve WWP presentations, easy to impliment?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: RE: My 3 suggestions to improve WWP presentations, easy to impliment? Edward Fink 2005-Oct-21 14:41:00
This is not a major issue to me, but if flipping a switch makes the
files even 1% harder to copy, then I say go for it.

I don't see ANY reason to make it the least bit easier for someone to
copy my VR.  If I submit it to the WWP, then I expect it to be viewed on
the WWP site, NOT in someone's email saying "Send this to everyone you
know!"

            I don't want to seem like some kind of fanatic on this.  I
never even heard of this "kiosk mode" until a few weeks ago.  In fact, I
haven't even made the change on my own site yet, and it could be weeks
before I get time to do something about it. But I do think it's a good
idea and I will do it myself.

Ed
#removed#
 <http://bigeyeinthesky.com/> http://BigEyeInTheSky.com/
 <http://NEW-EDEN.com/> http://NEW-EDEN.com/

From: "Edward Fink" <#removed#>

> Why can't you just keep a copy of your pano on your own site
> and give it away to everybody that wants it?
>
> Isn't it enough "sharing" just to have my pano on the WWP site where
> everyone in the world can see it, and see it in the proper context
with
> all the copyright info and the descriptions I wrote?  I didn't put my
> pano on the WWP for you to study the "specs" or to help "troubleshoot
or
> to enjoy offline."

You already posted your work on the wwp server. I guess you were aware
of the conditions / (lack of) restrictions?

I think it's one of the very interesting features of the wwp: we can see

how the technique changes from theme to theme, compare camera / lens /
workflow combinations. This can really be helpful when you want to buy a

new camera! One of the written goals of the wwp is to attract others to
this technique!

> Further - have you ever thought how this offline "sharing" actually
> HURTS the WWP as a whole?  If somebody's pano is so interesting that
> people want to steal it and email it to everybody they know, do you
> think they're going to include all the text and copyright info, and
most
> of all - a link to the WWP where people can find more panos?

Why don't you just embed all the neccessary information in your pano? I
do that: copyright information etc., see my energy pano (I allow you to
download and examine it).

There is one important reason for collecting those files: documentation,

preservation. I actually copied a whole article of Helmut Dersch's pages

because I was on a dial-in connection at that time and wanted to read
that article again. At some point the whole site of Helmut Dersch
vanished and now so many visitors of the panootools.info wiki are happy
to find the article mirrored on my site. I hope they are happy! :-)

> What's the odds that people who steal VR's are going to say ANYTHING
> about the WWP when they mail the file to a bunch of people.

I don't think copying for private use is stealing. When someone tries to

earn money with that: yes.

> Instead of people stealing VR's and mailing them all over the world,
> they should email the LINK - that way it brings traffic to the WWP and
> benefits ALL of us.

embed the link in your qtvr, paint it on the nadir, ...

best,
Carl

------
The World-Wide Panorama

For more information:
-Visit the web site at http://GeoImages.Berkeley.edu/wwp.html

World
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=World+wide&w1=World+wide&w2=Compute
r+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Multimedia+computer&w5=Multimedia+com
puter+speaker&c=5&s=120&.sig=dqt88o0AHP0wb2Sf5nzeuw>  wide

Computer
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=World+wide&w2=
Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Multimedia+computer&w5=Multime
dia+computer+speaker&c=5&s=120&.sig=EImYTUhpgjxQrLD4UQNCSg>  security

Computer
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=World+wide&w2=
Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Multimedia+computer&w5=Multime
dia+computer+speaker&c=5&s=120&.sig=bgh7mjI3Amm8eMjuAPYOjA>  training

Multimedia
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Multimedia+computer&w1=World+wide&w
2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Multimedia+computer&w5=Multi
media+computer+speaker&c=5&s=120&.sig=6aqrxlIOLZ5APArl7LN0wQ>  computer

Multimedia
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Multimedia+computer+speaker&w1=Worl
d+wide&w2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Multimedia+computer&
w5=Multimedia+computer+speaker&c=5&s=120&.sig=7VUfUY3cWOQyhgbuTHkXrA>
computer speaker

  _____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

on the web.

*          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 #removed#
<mailto:#removed#?subject=Unsubscribe>

*          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

  _____