Sender:Caroling Geary
Date/Time:2005-Nov-28 11:54:00
Subject:Re: decisions...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: decisions... Caroling Geary 2005-Nov-28 11:54:00
What does "best" mean? What are the criteria?

Is it the best photography? Does it mean technically the sharpest,
most colorful, competent equipment tour de force?

Is it the best documentation? Does it mean showing a location that
adds to world knowledge and will be a geographical and historic
resource for centuries?

Is it the best photo-journalism? That is, does it show the levy
breaking in New Orleans, starting the flood? Or some such current
news topic?

Is it the best concept? Is it a work of art that extends the reach of
soul and moves the imagination in new, meaningful ways?

Is it a personal best? For example it might be the best in a series
of attempts to capture a certain place or light or space or amount of
movement or some elusive all-around feeling.

Is it a competitive best? Is it the best Eiffel tower, better than
any others you have seen?

Is it an annual best? Is it better than last year's entry of the same
thing?

Is it a unique best? You could define the best in relation to a
specific goal. Say the best is the least effort (fewer shots,
quickest taken, least post-processing).

Personally, I like the time to try to do something better than I've
already done this year. I like the time to contemplate my choices.
Quality and quantity of "bests" balance out. If something is very
innovative art, I'd call that a quality best. If something is art,
shows a unique place, is good photography, and is OK in a number of
ways, I'd call that a quantity best. Then I have to decide between
quality and quantity. I'd probably opt for quality.

On Nov 27, 2005, at 9:58 AM, G. Donald Bain wrote:

> But now the big decision - what do I submit myself as my best of the
> year?

Caroling Geary
www.wholeo.net