Sender:Mickael Therer
Date/Time:2005-Dec-22 22:08:00
Subject:Re: Times Best Photos of 2005

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Times Best Photos of 2005 Mickael Therer 2005-Dec-22 22:08:00
--- In #removed#, "Bernhard Vogl" <#removed#> wrote:
> > --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---
> > Von: Hans Nyberg <#removed#>
> >
> > Times
> > The Best Photos of the Year 2005
> > http://www.time.com/time/yip/2005/
> >
> > Is that how we see the world.
>

> Of course, these are at first Reportage photos
> with worldwide relevance. No more, no less.
> But also, most of them i'd admire as a good photo.

I totally agree with you Bernhard, it's not so much
about how 'we' see the world but what resonated
worldwide in 2005.

< begin rant >

Sure there are a lot of wonderful things on this planet.
But there are also a lot of things that are pretty fucked
up, the mission of photojournalism is not to entertain us
but to raise questioning. In this sense, although poor,
the Times selection delivers some questioning, and the title
"best of" does seems inadequate.

This is how msnbc viewers see the world:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10467269
click reader's choice.

I won't comment on their select, but it does leave me
with a feeling of deep perplexity, having watched the
voting over the last 4 weeks
(and scores discarding other pics)

It's a free world, where we may pick what we want to
look at, and propose it as the best of 2005 but
while we may sit in ecstasy watching the wonderful
saccharine shots in the reader's choice at msnbc tens
of voiceless thousands could be dying this winter in
northern Pakistan partly because of lack of media
coverage => awareness => money => food/houses/hospitals.

< / end rant >

here's my personal best of seen in 2005
http://operationeden.blogspot.com/
browse the archive from August onwards
and here World AIDS Day 2005
http://tinyurl.com/9cu46

here's Reuters' selection
http://tinyurl.com/9xcv9
not different from Times'

> Thanks to the outstanding work of people like Mickael
> Therer, the "panoramic community" has shown that
> photos showcased by the "Times" as their best, can
> be done by others even in 360 degrees...   :-)

Thank you Bernhard,

happy holidays to all of you !

-m

--