Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2006-Jan-11 12:36:00
Subject:Re: Google Earth / WWP - a follow-up

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Google Earth / WWP - a follow-up Markus Altendorff 2006-Jan-11 12:36:00
On Mi, 11.01.2006, 12:53, Caroling Geary said:
> Wow, this is wonderful - Google earth and all the precise data you've
> entered. I'll have to update my Lookout 2000 pages, where I wished
> for such a virtual globe. This does it.
>
> One detail about the URL/photographer entry:
>
> 	URL/Photographer:<br>http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp_rss/go/p53 <br>
> 	Placemark precision: Unknown. Legacy data, may or may not be
> correct.]]></description>
>
> Would there be a way to make that placemark known, if the
> photographer wished it?

I'm pondering how to do this in the easiest way... editing an existing placemark in
Google Earth isn't the best workflow for that, i've found for myself (since it needs
a lot of extra clicks if you want to record the camera position, too).

A procedure that works fine is the one i've outlined in the "how to use the new
Google Earth placemark processor" pop-up help box on Equinox ;) and which i'm
copying below:

1) Open the Google Earth application
2) Move the view to your panorama's location.
3) Move the camera to your desired view (thus defining the heading/tilt/range
values). Keep your intended location in the center of the window, as well as
possible.
4) Add a new placemark (Ctrl-N on Windows).
5) Move the placemark to the location.
6) Right-click on the placemark, select "Copy" from the pop-up menu.

(in wwp306, coming March, you can "Paste" that placemark into a textbox and have the
prep. server read the values straight from that :)

What you've got at this point (after step <6>) is a few lines of XML text in the
clipboard which contain the camera position and the placemark position.

Maybe we could set up some mail address for you to send this corrected position data
to, and you'd just have to write a mail like
"My new placemark for wwp1234"
(paste clipboard here)

"and for wwp5678"
(paste another placemark here)

and so on. Also, precision can be "high", "medium" and "low" - and "suppressed" for
those panoramas/objects made in "Artistica" (hey, that'd actually make a fun name
for an "out of this world" region... ;)

I'll look into that and also see what Don, Landis and Thomas think about that
(patching of, at worst, 1400 positions is quite a lot of work, even for copy, paste
and run...).

-Markus