Sender:Carl von Einem
Date/Time:2006-Apr-07 09:52:00
Subject:Re: Border submissions - my highlights

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Border submissions - my highlights Carl von Einem 2006-Apr-07 09:52:00
From: "Robert Bilsland" <#removed#>

> Well it took a while, and I enjoyed what I saw (all 225 of them, I
> think). It's amazing to think how much time has been spent on all the
> entries in total (not only the prep time, but the time that people
> took to get to their locations!).

255? I got a first glimpse but wait until next week when also the late
entries and corrections are online. BirneGruppe e.g. is still missing
for this event but has already a second contribution listed in
http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwppeople/index.html

> Ray Broussard's Bordered by Levee Failures since Katrina. With this
> one it's not the panorama at all but his words. You see news stories
> on the TV all the time, but they tell you the story they want to tell
> you. Sometimes a personal story adds a whole new level.

This is one of the most moving panoramas of the "reportage" type I ever
saw. At first a "peaceful" scene that is a perfect match to the article.
True, it has a very long story that might use some more editing, but
it's really worth reading and I already looked forward to learn more
about Ray's impressions from post-Katrina New Orleans. Ray, please feed
the world with regular updates! And a little glossary for SBA, FEMA,...
May I encourage you to post some the older panoramas you mentioned in
your article?

> Ignacio Ferrando's Pyrenees Border. With this one it's the view and
> the colours, it's just stunning.

Indeed a wonderful panorama.

> Robert M. Lightfoot III's Elks War Memorial. This one is the
> architecture, the building is just beautiful, and somewhere I would
> love to visit in person.

Can someone give me a hint what kind of border is shown here? No caption
provided, I hope this is in the work as a late edit. Sorry, but without
a clever caption I think this pano completely misses the point of this
event. It was "borders", right? Not "War Museums", "Halls",
"Architecture" or "Places in Chicago"...

Carl

ps
I also like Nick Milligan's "Boarders" pano for pushing the border in
slightly misspelling the term, I initially thought about doing something
like that with my snowboard ;-)