Sender:Alex Makienko
Date/Time:2006-Jul-18 18:27:00
Subject:Re: Nabble has nabbed our messages

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nabble has nabbed our messages Alex Makienko 2006-Jul-18 18:27:00
Hi Landis,

> I don't use Nabble or GMANE but don't (didn't) see a problem as long
> as they keep our email addresses private. No one can post through
> Nabble without already being an approved member of the WWP list.

> AFAIK this was just a different way of viewing the list that some
> people really preferred. I'll let any Nabble or GMANE users post
> their defense of the service before I do anything.

As far as I can see there is an option to send an email message to anyone of
us. To do that a sender has to be registeded with Nabble but not with Yahoo
group. I believe that they also may have an option for registered members to
reply to the thread bypassing our group. I didn't try to register but
entered the registration page and saw that there is no connection with
Yahoo. I guess this is not fair. If looks like they use our newsgroup to
build and promote their own forum. It would not be too bad to have just a
different view of the newsgroup without an option to send any message or
email through Nabble. Now it looks like an attempt to build an alternative
forum.

Also I've seen the following statement in their Terms of Use:

"Except for your own content, you may not copy or republish Nabble's
collection of posts or any portion of the collection....  You may not
republish a forum or any significant portion thereof. "

As they do not have any reference to our Yahoo group (if I've missed it
please let me know) does it mean that they own all the data posted to the
Yahoo group?

I would suggest asking them to disable all the features of sending any
messages or registering new members beside of Yahoo group and leave just a
view option with mandatory reference to the Yahoo WWP group..

Alex