Sender:Don Barth
Date/Time:2006-Sep-01 16:27:00
Subject:Re: A challenge to Panographers around the world

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: A challenge to Panographers around the world Don Barth 2006-Sep-01 16:27:00
Carlos;
I have an installation that uses panoramic imagery with embedded
media which is projected onto four screens. The engager of the work
stands in the middle of it to interact with it using a "walking
stick" (a modified joy stick with a piece of pine limb attached to
it). I think this adds even more to the immersive experience. If
youall are interested in this setup I can give you more technical
details.
cheers
don b

On Sep 1, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz wrote:

> Sorry for the cross post, I can't decide if this fits better on the
> PanoToolsNG or the WWP group!
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a challenge for all of you.
> Several times was discussed on this list the way to get us off the
> virtual screen into the real world.
> One way to do this is to build life size cubes and print the inside
> panels with the cubic projections that we use to make cubic QTVR files
> (although with more resolution) so that a person could walk in and
> feel
> like it was there.
>
> Well, yesterday was talking about this with the owner of an important
> Art Gallery here in Portugal, and he is interested in making a big
> show
> using this concept.
>
> He has the space needed and will finance the building of the boxes, I
> happen to own a Large Format Print Center here in Portugal and I can
> print the whole thing as big as needed, all together we have the
> creative drive needed to make this a success.
>
> This is not like printing equirectangular images that most people
> can't
> figure out what it is, this is about capture some point of view
> somewhere around the world and displaying it 180x360? elsewhere
> retaining the same perspective, a truly immersive feeling.
>
> The question is, can this be done?
>
> I don't know if it will work out, I only promise I will try to make
> it work.
>
> We have to decide how to make this cubes.
>
> We have to decide a theme for it.
>
> We have to decide some technical aspects like resolution and the file
> size of the cubes.
>
> Can we make this into art objects?
>
> Let's discuss this and if more people then me are interested in this
> please come out and say it.
>
> --
>
> Os melhores cumprimentos,
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Carlos Chegado
>
> Olho de Peixe Lda
>
> Rua Miguel Pais, 42 -- 1? A
> 2830-356 Barreiro
> Portugal
>
> Tel.: (+351) 210 88 91 96
> Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
>
> ====================================
>
> Fotografias 360? ?? www.carloschegado.com <http://
> www.carloschegado.com&gt;

Don Barth
Assistant Professor
Department of Art
University of South Carolina

carrying the cross."

  Sinclair Lewis from "It Can't Happen Here", 1935

Office Hours Fall 2006
221 McMaster College
Wednesdays 1:30 to 3:30 PM
or by appointment