Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Sep-14 16:53:00
Subject:Re: QT 7.1.3 invalidates 3 of my files

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: QT 7.1.3 invalidates 3 of my files Roger Howard 2006-Sep-14 16:53:00
On Thu, September 14, 2006 8:56 am, Richard Crowest wrote:
> Caroling/everyone:
>
> Just found this on the Apple web site:

> Could this be yet another downgrading of QT's place as a general
> multimedia tool? No
> QTVR tools from Apple for years, no update to QTVR rendering for years,
> now no Flash
> support by default. It seems more and more as though Apple isn't that
> interested in us
> using it for anything other than listening to music and watching films...

This technote seems to confirm one of my theories - that Apple disabled
Flash playback by default, under some stupid assumption that the only
reason Quicktime handles Flash is when it loads SWF's whole-hog, and
therefore they assume this is actually doing users a favor by ensuring
that the proper Macromedia/Adobe Flash plguin gets used instead of
Quicktime - not thinking that people are also using Flash content *within*
the Quicktime .mov container, which this change also affects.

It would seem if this is the case, then there was a good intention, and
terrible handling, of this change. They *should* go to pains not to let
Quicktime handle .SWF directly in most cases, but that *shouldn't* break
Flash content deployed *within* SWF.

I think there are better forums that WWPAno for this thread, however.

-R