Sender:michel thoby
Date/Time:2007-Jul-05 08:07:00
Subject:Re: WWP on Linux!

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: WWP on Linux! michel thoby 2007-Jul-05 08:07:00
Hi Yuv,

I have inserted my comments between the lines below:

Le 5 juil. 07 ? 05:13, yuval levy a ?crit :

> Here is a list of the entries that do not work,
> followed by some thoughts on how to make your content
> accessible to the widest audience and instructions for
> Linux users.
>
> First, a list of the 5% entries that do NOT work, with
> analysis.
>
> 1. JPEG decoding failed. Reason: the author has
> probably used one of the many exotic codecs available
> in QuickTime (H.264 has been popular of late).
I have made a quick check:

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> ThijsBerkman.html>
a) Cylindrical QTVR
b) Codec = Cinepak

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> AlfredBrock.html>
a) Cylindrical QTVR
b) Codec= Sorenson

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> JohnDotta.html>
a) Cylindrical QTVR
b) codec = photo JPEG
c) Ambient sound
> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> AleksandarJanicijevic.html>
a) Cylindrical
b) Codec= Video Sorenson

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> InakiRezola.html>
I couldn't open the downloaded file:-(

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> MichelThoby.html>
1) Thumbnail CubicVR - codec = H264
2) Fullscreen = CubicVR + photo JPEG

> <http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp607/html/
> JerzyZamora.html>
CubicVR, Codec = Video Sorenson 3

> RECOMMENDATION: to ensure that you content survives
> beyond QuickTime, use open, widely available standards
> such as JPEG
> .
Personal conclusion:
Cylindrical is unfortunately less and less considered as a standard
to be mandatorily supported by viewer development.
(Cylindrical + Cinepak) combo: As some years ago, 99% of the QTVR
(.pano) were so published on the Web, I believe this is "the" true
legacy available standard and not the reverse!

Regards,

Michel