Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2008-Jan-08 01:51:00
Subject:Re: 85mm f/2.8D PC Micro Nikkor

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: 85mm f/2.8D PC Micro Nikkor Roger D. Williams 2008-Jan-08 01:51:00
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:13:58 +0900, Hans Nyberg <#removed#> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2008, at 9:59 PM, Aykut Erdogdu wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tested 85mm f/2.8D PC Micro Nikkor? Can we use this
>> lens' ability to shift in order to stitch our panoramas like Noblex?
>
> Short answer NO.
> Shift is a bad idea for panoramas.

Well, it's a bad idea for STITCHED panoramas, but ideal for ROTARY
cameras. I use a 28mm Nikkor on my 120 film rotary camera, and I
think the 85mm focal length would limit this lens's usefulness in
most panorama applications used (unlike me) with standard 35mm film.
The shift function would allow useless floor images to be replaced
with the more interesting higher features of the objects in view.
The one thing you can't do with cylindrical panoramas is point the
camera up. The corrections are very difficult to perform and result
in most cases in too much loss if the image when trimming it to
rectangular format.

I can imagine the 85mm lens producing a nice panorama of a rim of
mountains... <g>

Roger W.

--
Work: www.adex-japan.com