Sender:bruce_hemming
Date/Time:2008-Jun-01 07:07:00
Subject:Re: Discussion with ZKM's lawyer and next steps

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Discussion with ZKM's lawyer and next steps bruce_hemming 2008-Jun-01 07:07:00
I have just returned from a weeks location shooting where I had inadequate email access
and have just properly read all of the correspondence on the ZKM issue.  Going through all
of the last weeks posts to properly inform myself of the situation was a depressing
experience.

As I was contacted directly by  Petra Kaiser I am taking that to indicate that my work has
definitely been used and must now consider what action I need to take.  Obviously I am
very grateful for the efforts of the other group members who have given substance to and
gathered evidence of the violation of our rights -  and particularly to Yuv who has started
a negotiation process.

I do however have some concerns of my own which don't appear to have been much
discussed - you must forgive me if I am overlooking others comments but I have only had
one read through of the correspondence and will need to go over it again several times to
become fully conversant with the content.

In particular, it appears to me that the WWP as a coherent arts concept has been damaged
by the actions of ZKM.  Others have posted re problems where consent had been given for
usage only in the context of the WWP and I have read at least one post where a member
will no longer participate.  This suggests to me that there is a strong case for punitive
damages far exceeding the "commercial value" of the rights misappropriated.  This would
acknowledge the damage to the WWP and act as a deterrent to others in the future who
might contemplate similar theft of copyright work via the web.  The discussion has mainly
focused on the violation of the rights of the individual but we must not forget that the
integrity of the concept of the WWP has been attacked and exploited.

that you consider the following - here in the UK, and I don't doubt all over the world,
educational, arts and similar publicly funded organizations are increasingly active in the
commercial world where they enjoy an advantage over normal businesses with whom they
compete due to the resources made available to them and "free" ie student, labour that
they employ.  Globorama might be an educational non profit display at the moment but
who can say what commercial application it might be turned to in the future?  In that case
we may well have supplied the content for a proof of concept without receiving any
financial reward for our participation in their success.

I am absolutely appalled at the arrogance and actions of the directors of ZKM who have
damaged the WWP which has a greater value and artistic integrity than their "delivery"
system and is typical of many so called arts institutions.

I know that by suggesting a greater financial penalty be applied you will feel that this is
stirring the pot at the wrong time Yuv and if I had been able to comment earlier in the
exchanges I would have -

So it goes.

Regards

Bruce