Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2008-Jun-09 00:10:00
Subject:Markus' Essay on ELEVATION

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Markus' Essay on ELEVATION G. Donald Bain 2008-Jun-09 00:10:00
The World Wide Panorama theme for the June Solstice 2008 is ELEVATION.

This theme was proposed by Markus Altendorff, the technical member of
the WWP management team. He has written an excellent short description
of how it might be interpreted:

> About the Theme - Elevation
> by Markus Altendorff
>
> A few thoughts on what "Elevation" can be - this is not nearly
> exhaustive:
> Take a panorama on a rooftop. Simply hold your camera overhead.
> Change the point of view to a higher ground. Choose an elevated
> structure to be the focus of attention. Climb a mountain, and take a
> panorama from its summit. Take a panorama of the summit, from the
> valley below. Go beyond literal elevation: to elevate - "to hold
> something up for adoration". Why not photograph a panorama in front
> of the stage of a pop concert? "to raise to a more important or
> impressive level" - someone being elevated in politics? "to raise or
> lift something" - a panorama in an elevator? What makes you feel
> elevated?
> I'm looking forward to your very own interpretation!

Markus also graciously invited me to add my thoughts. I think it's a
great theme and it suggested all sorts of things to me, so I wrote an
essay, which will follow in a moment.

Themes can be taken literally - go out and shoot from the highest
elevation you have handy, whether that be a hilltop or a church tower.
Or you can be analytical- show us how a small difference in relative
elevation in your home town affects house prices. Or be creative and
think of an interpretation that no one else has. You can take the
theme metaphorically, or spiritually, or humorously, or think
laterally and surprise us. Your example can be large, like a mountain,
or small, like your cat's favorite elevated perch. It can be grand or
homey, simple or elaborate, straightforward or tricky (the cat's perch
view). No entry is ever judged by how well it represents the theme.
Read the essay, develop a few ideas, brush up on your technical
skills, then go out and shoot. Have fun!