Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2008-Jun-16 17:02:00
Subject:Re: Coincidence: Orphan Works: A License To Infringe

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Coincidence: Orphan Works: A License To Infringe G. Donald Bain 2008-Jun-16 17:02:00
Tamas,

Thank you for the alert on this important issue.

This is especially relevant to participants in the WWP and those of us
who publish on the internet. It is easy for our work (the actual
image) to be separated from its identifying data (usually an html
page) and be posted elsewhere on the internet. This could then be
perceived as an "orphan" work, or at least that excuse could be used
by the unscrupulous (or lazy). The problem is compounded if that first
generation orphan is then accessed using something like Google image
search - the connection to your copyright and contact data will be
completely broken.

I have taken the action you suggested, writing to my senators and
congressman. I urge other US citizens with an interest in on-line
media to do the same, and non-US citizens to be vigilant for similar
legislation (or administrative actions) in their area.

Don